International Trends and Services
The major goals are to:
- Increase awareness among Links of international affairs and issues.
- Collaborate with other organizations in sponsoring international programs.
- Provide information on political, economic, and cultural matters in African and Caribbean countries.
- Provide school materials to children in Africa.
- Support international organizations on the local, national, and international levels.
- Support foreign guests and students and encourage participation in international discussions.
International Trends and Services―2010-2011 Projects
- Theme: “Ghana―The Roots of the Diaspora”
- Goal: Increase awareness among Links and the community at large about Ghana, its important place in Africa’s history, it's liberation and relationship with the African Diaspora.
- Co-Presenter with the Crocker Art Museum of The African Aesthetic in Performing and Visual Arts―A Talk by Dr. Halifu Osumare, Thursday, February 24, 6:00 PM. Dr. Osumare has focused a lot of her research in Ghana.
- Community Screening of SANKOFA, Saturday, March 12, 5:00 PM at the Guild Theater. This deeply captivating film takes one back to the experiences slavery. Sankofa is an Akan word (the language of Ghana) that means, one must examine the past in order to build the future. A discussion forum is scheduled after the screening. The event if free and open to the community, seating is limited.
- African Heritage Luncheon September 17, 2011. View luncheon details