Services to Youth
The major goals are to:
- Implement programs that address the critical issues and needs of African-American youth and their families.
- Provide opportunities through which self-esteem and self-confidence can be nurtured.
- Introduce young people to a variety of career opportunities.
Services to Youth Projects
- Linking Sisters to S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) Less than 50% of students in Sacramento are proficient in math or science. Learning rates are even lower for girls and students of color. Linking Sisters to S.T.E.M. is a program initiative to provide low-income girls of color S.T.E.M. education tools and experiences. Members of the Sacramento Chapter of The Links, Incorporated provide regular two-hour workshops for middle school girls to help prepare them for gatekeeper science related subjects to close the academic gap as well as to expose the youth to S.T.E.M. careers. Sessions include guest speakers working in the S.T.E.M. fields, college readiness assessments, hands-on S.T.E.M. laboratory projects, math tutoring and field trips.
- General Scholarship Program
- Oak Park Little League Baseball Team Sponsorship
- Partnership with Phoenix Park
- Healthy Living and Nutrition Workshops